We have two NEW HENS! Our original hens are in retirement, which means we have two new members of our school community living in the hen hut.
They are missing the most important thing: A NAME EACH!
Place your name suggestions for each hen in a comment below. There’s a star up for grabs if your suggestion is chosen.
Also, your class has it’s timetable to stick to; please ensure you do and that our hens are well-looked after, healthy and happy!
EVERY DAY, WE MUST:
- Collect the eggs and hand them over to the kitchen for a ‘cracking’ lunch.
- Give them some food – A mix of Layers Pellets & Corn is perfect
- Top up water – hens really do drink a LOT of water! This is especially important if it very cold (frozen water can’t be drunk) or if its very hot!
- Check the run to make sure nothing has been trying to dig in
- Make sure you still have the right number of chickens!
EVERY WEEK, WE MUST:
- Remove Dropping Tray
- Put droppings into compost or bin
- Clean out nesting box
- Put clean shaving into box and dropping tray
- Clean Glug
AND AS A SPECIAL MEASURE, CHECK FOR:
- Changes in behaviour